Robert van Woesik, Ph.D.
Director of the Institute for Research on Global Climate Change
My research interests are broad but ultimately linked to population ecology of scleractinian corals. Research includes the spatial and temporal assessment of coral assemblages and the application of that ecology to the management of coral reefs. My approach is often multi-disciplinary utilizing a combination of empirical and mathematical techniques. Ultimately, I am interested in understanding vital rates and key processes that underly and drive state variables on coral reefs. Most recently, I have become interested in ecological questions related to thermal stress, coral bleaching and predictive modeling of coral population trajectories under different climate-change scenarios.
- Muller E & R. van Woesik (2012) Caribbean coral diseases: primary transmission or secondary infection? Global Change Biology DOI: 10.1111/gcb.12019
- Burman S, R Aronson, R van Woesik (In Press) Biotic homogenization of coral assemblages along the Florida reef tract. Marine Ecology Progress Series
- Sublette-Mosblech N.A, M.B Bush, W.D Gosling, L. Thomas, P. van Calsteren, A. Correa-Metrio, B.G. Valencia, J. Curtis, R. van Woesik. (2012) North Atlantic forcing of Amazonian precipitation through the last ice age. NatureGeosciencesdoi:10.1038/ngeo1588
- Rongo T & van Woesik R. (2012) Socio-economic impacts of ciguatera in Rarotonga, southern Cook Islands. Harmful Algae http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.hal.2012.08.003
- van Woesik R, P. Houk, A. L. Isechal, J. W. Idechong, S.Victor, Y. Golbuu (In Press) Climate-change microrefugia: nearshore reefs bleach less than outer reefs during a 2010 regional thermal stress event in Palau. Ecology and Evolution doi: 10.1002/ece3.363
- McClanahan T.R, S.D. Donner, J.E. Maynard, M.A. MacNeil, J.M. Maina, A.C. Baker, J. B. Alemu I, M. Beger, S.J. Campbell, E. S. Darling, C.M. Eakin, N.A.J. Graham, S.F. Heron, S.D. Jupiter, C. Lundquist, E. McLeod, P. Mumby, M.J. Paddack, E.R. Selig, R. van Woesik. Using evidence-based resilience assessments to support coral reef management in a changing climate. PLoS One doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0042884
- van Woesik R, A Irikawa, R Anzai, T Nakamura (2012) Effects of coral-colony morphologies on mass transfer and susceptibility to thermal stress. Coral Reefs 31, 633-639
- Toth LT, Aronson RB, Vollmer SV, Hobbs JW, Urrego DH, Cheng H, Enochs IC, Combosch DJ, van Woesik R, Macintyre IG (2012). ENSO-drove 2,500-year collapse of eastern Pacific coral reefs. Science 337: 81-84
- van Woesik R , E. C. Franklin, J. O’Leary, T. R. McClanahan, J. Klaus, A.F. Budd (2012) Hosts of the Plio-Pleistocene past reflect modern-day coral vulnerability. Proc Royal Society B. 279: 2448-2456
- van Woesik R and A. G. Jordan-Garza (2011) Coral populations in a rapidly changing environment. J Exp Mar Biol Ecol 408: 11-20
- van Woesik R, K. Sakai, A. Ganase, Y. Loya (2011) Revisiting the winners and loser a decade after coral bleaching. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 434: 67-76
- Rongo T, and R. van Woesik (2011) Ciguatera fish poisoning in Rarotonga, southern Cook Islands. Harmful Algae 10: 345-355
- Akiyuki Irikawa, Beatriz E. Casareto, Yoshimi Suzuki, Sylvain Aagostini, Michio Hidaka, and Robert van Woesik (2011) Growth anomalies on Acropora cytherea corals. Marine Poll Bull.62(8): 455-460
- Jordan-Garza A G, EM Muller, SG Burma, R. van Woesik (2011) Susceptibility of coral-disease models. PNAS: 1102711108v1-201102711
- Wild C, M. Ateweberhan, W.K. Fitt, F. Colombo, C. Palmer, J.C. Bythell, M. Naumann, R. Iglesias-Prieto, J.C Ortiz, Y. Loya, O. Hoegh-Guldberg, R. van Woesik, (2011) Climate change interferes with the role reef-building corals play as ecosystem engineers. Mar Fresh Res 62: 205-215.
- Golbuu Y, R. van Woesik, RH Richmond, P Harrison, KE Fabricius (2011) River discharge reduces coral diversity in Palau. Marine Pollution Bulletin 62: 824-831
- Sublette NA, Bush, MB, R. van Woesik (2011) On Metapopulations and Microrefugia: paleoecological insights. J Biogeography. 38(3): 419-429
- Green R, McArdle B, van Woesik R (2011) Sampling state and process variables on coral reefs. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 178: 455-460
- Edwards H.J , I.A. Elliott, C. M. Eakin, A. Irikawa, J.S. Madin, M. McField, J. A. Morgan, R van Woesik & P.J. Mumby (2011) How much time can herbivore protection buy for coral reefs under realistic regimes of hurricanes and coral bleaching? Global Change Biology 17: 2033-2048
- Muller EM, van Woesik R (2011) Black-band disease dynamics: prevalence, incidence, and acclimization to light. Shading increases black-band disease progression on Diploria strigosa. J Exp Mar Biol Ecol 397: 52-57
- Roth, L, S. Koksal, R. van Woesik (2010)Effects of thermal stress on key processes driving coral population dynamics. Marine Ecology Progress Series 411: 73-87
- Done T, L.M DeVantier, E. Turak, D.A. Fisk, M.Wakeford, R. van Woesik. (2010) Coral growth on three reefs: development of recovery benchmarks using a space for time approach. Coral Reefs 29: 815-833
- Wagner, D. E, P. Kramer, R. van Woesik (2010) Species composition, habitat, and water quality influence coral bleaching in south-eastern Florida. Marine Ecology Progress Series 408: 65-78
- Reed, K.C, E. Muller, R. van Woesik (2010) Coral immunology and resistance to disease. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 90(2): 85-92
- van Woesik R, Shiroma K, Koksal S (2010) Phenotypic variance predicts symbiont population densities in corals; a modeling approach. PLoS One 5(2): e9185. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0009185
- van Woesik R (2010) Calm before the spawn: global coral-spawning synchronization is explained by regional wind fields. Proc Royal Society B, 277: 715-722 Zvuloni, A., R. van Woesik, and Y. Loya (2010) Diversity partitioning of stony corals across multiple spatial scales around Zanzibar Island, Tanzania. PLoS One 5(3) e9941. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0009941
- van Woesik R (2009) Corals' prolonged struggle against unfavorable conditions. Galaxea 11: 53-58
- Victor, S., Y. Golbuu, H. Yukihira, R. van Woesik (2009) Acropora size-frequency distributions reflect spatially variable conditions on coral reefs of Palau. Bull Mar Sci 85(2):149-157
- Houk P and van Woesik R (2009) Coral fidelity, environmental forcing and emergent reef growth through the Holocene: a case study from the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. Marine Ecology 31(2): 318-329
- Thompson D and van Woesik R (2009) Corals escape bleaching in regions that recently and historically experienced frequent thermal stress. Proc Royal Society B: 276(1669): 2893-2901
- F igueiredo J, R .van Woesik, J. Lin, L. Narciso (2009) Artemia franciscana enrichment model — How to keep them small, rich and alive? Aquaculture 294: 212-220
- Muller E and R. van Woesik (2009) Shading reduces coral-disease progression. Coral Reefs 28: 757-760
- Rongo T, Bush M, van Woesik R (2009) Did Ciguatera prompt the late Holocene Polynesian voyages of Discovery? J Biogeography 36(8): 1423-1432
- Fitt, WK, R. Gates, O. Hoegh-Guldberg, J. Bythell,, A. Jakar, A.G. Grottoli, M. Gomez, P. Fisher, D. Franklin, T. Lajeunesse, O. Pantos, R. Igelsias-Prieto, L. J. Rodrigues,, J.M. Torregiani, R. van Woesik, M.P. Lesser (2009) Response of two species of Indo-Pacific corals, Porites cylindrica and Stylophora pistillata, to short-term thermal stress: the host does matter in determining the tolerance of corals to bleaching. J Exp Mar Biol Ecology 373: 102-110
- Wagner D, Mielbrecht E, van Woesik R (2008) Application of landscape ecology to spatio-temporal variance of water-quality parameters along the Florida Keys reef tract. Bull Marine Science 83(3): 553-569
- Dodge R.E, Birkeland C, Hatziolos M, Kleypas J, Palumbi S.R, Hoegh-Guldberg O, van Woesik R, Ogden J.C., Aronson R.B., Causey B.D., Staub F (2008) A Call to Action for Coral Reefs. Science 322: 189-190
- Iwase A., K. Sakai, A. Suzuki, R.van Woesik (2008). Phototrophic adjustment of the foliaceous coral Echinopora lamellosa in Palau. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 77:672-678
- Zvuloni A, Artzy-Randrup Y, Stone L, van Woesik R, Loya Y (2008) Ecological size-frequency distributions: how to prevent and correct biases in spatial sampling. Limnol & Oceanog 6: 144-153
- Houk P & van Woesik R (2008) Dynamics of shallow-water assemblages in the Saipan Lagoon. Marine Ecology Progress Series 356:39-50
- Muller EM, CS Rogers, AS Spitzack, R van Woesik (2008) Bleaching increases likelihood of disease on Acropora palmata (Lamarck) at Hawksnest Bay, St. John, US Virgin Islands. Coral Reefs: 27: 191-195
- Papina M, Meziane T, van Woesik R. (2007) Acclimation effect on fatty acids of the coral Montipora digitata and its symbiotic algae. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology B: 147: 583-589
- Golbuu Y, Victor S , Penland L, Idip D, Emaurois C, Okaji K, Yukihira H, Iwase A, van Woesik R (2007) Palau’s coral reefs show differential habitat recovery following the 1998-bleaching event. Coral Reefs 26: 319-332
- Houk P, Bograd S, van WoesikR (2007). The Transition Zone Chlorophyll Front acts as a trigger for Acanthaster planci outbreaks in the Pacific Ocean: a historical confirmation. Journal of Oceanography 63: 149-154
- van Woesik R, Lacharmoise F, Koksal S (2006) Annual cycles of solar insolation predict spawning times of Caribbean corals. Ecology Letters 9: 390-398
- van Woesik R and Koksal S (2006) A coral population response (CPR) model for thermal stress. In: J. T. Phinney, O. Hoegh ‐Guldberg, J. Kleypas, W. Skirving, and A. Strong , Coastal and Estuarine Studies 61: Coral reefs and climate change: science and management. Published by American Geophysical Union, Washington DC: p 129-144
- Dikou A & van Woesik R (2006) Survival under chronic stress from sediment load: spatial pattern of hard coral communities, southern islands, Singapore. Marine Pollution Bulletin 52: 7-21
- Houk P & van Woesik R (2006) Coral reef benthic video surveys facilitate long term monitoring in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands: toward an optimal sampling strategy. Pacific Science 60(2): 175-187
- Dikou A & van Woesik R (2006) Partial colony mortality reflects coral community dynamics: A fringing reef study near a small river in Okinawa, Japan. Marine Pollution Bulletin 52: 269-280
- van Woesik R, Nakamura T, Yamasaki H, Sheppard C (2005) Comment on ‘ Effects of geography, taxa, water flow, and temperature variation on coral bleaching intensity in Mauritius’ by McClanahan et (2005). Marine Ecology Progress Series 305: 297-299
- Nakamura T, van Woesik R, Yamasaki H (2005) Photoinhibition of photosynthesis is reduced by water flow in the reef-building coral Acropora digitifera. Marine Ecology Progress Series 301: 109-118
- Houk P, Didonato G, Iguel J, van Woesik R (2005) Assessing the effects of non-point source pollution on American Samoa’s coral reef communities. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 107: 11-27
- van Woesik R (2004) Comment on coral reef death during the 1997 Indian Ocean dipole linked to Indonesian wildfires. Science 303: 1297
- Bena C and R. van Woesik (2004). The impact of two bleaching events on the survival of small-coral colonies. Bulletin of Marine Science 75(1): 115-125
- Nakamura S, Misumi O, Aoyama H, van Woesik R, Kuroiwa T (2004) Monokaryotic chloroplast (moc) mutation has no effect on non-Mendelian transmission of chloroplast and mitochondrial DNA in Chlamydomonas. Protoplasma 224: 107-112
- Penland L, Kloulechad J, Idip D, van Woesik R (2004) Coral spawning in the western Pacific Ocean is related to solar radiation: evidence of multiple spawning events in Palau. Coral Reefs 23: 133-140
- van Woesik R , A. Irikawa, Y Loya. (2004) Coral bleaching: signs of change in southern Japan. In, Coral Health and Disease (eds. Eugene Rosenberg & Yossi Loya), Springer, 119-141
- Takahashi S, Nakamura T, Sakamizu M, van Woesik R, Yamasaki H (2004) Repair machinery of symbiotic photosynthesis as the primary target of heat stress for reef-building corals. Plant & Cell Physiology 45(2): 251-255
- Nakamura T, Yamasaki H, van Woesik R. (2003) Water-flow treatment facilitates recovery from bleaching in the coral Stylophora pistillata. Marine Ecology Progress Series 256: 287-291
- Gilmore AM, AWD Larkum, A Salih A, S Itoh, Y Shibata, C Bena, H Yamasaki, M Papina, R van Woesik (2003) Simultaneous time-resolution of the emission spectra of fluorescent proteins and zooxanthellar chlorophyll in reef building corals. Photochemistry and Photobiology 77: 515- 523
- Papina M, T. Meziane, R. van Woesik (2003) Symbiotic zooxanthellae provide the host coral Montipora digitata with polyunsaturated fatty acids. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology 135(3): 533-537
- Nakamura S, H Aoyama, R van Woesik (2003) Strict paternal transmission of Chlamydomonas algae mitochondria DNA is explained by active degradation of maternal mitochondrial nucleoids. Protoplasma 221:205-210
- LaJeunesse TC, WKW Loh, R. van Woesik, O. Hoegh-Guldberg, GW Schmidt, WK Fitt (2003) Low symbiont diversity in southern Great Barrier Reef corals relative to those of the Caribbean. Limnology and Oceanography 48(5): 2046-2054
- Van Woesik R (2002) Processes regulating coral communities. Comments on Theoretical Biology 7: 201-214
- Papina M, Y. Sakihama, C. Bena, R. van Woesik and H. Yamasaki (2002) Separation of highly fluorescent proteins by SDS-PAGE in Acroporidae corals. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology 131: 767-774
- Ohde S, Greaves M, Masuzama T, Buckley H.A., van Woesik R, Wilson P.A., Pirazzoli P.A., Elderfield H (2002) The chronology of Funafuti Atoll: revisiting an old friend. Proceedings of the Royal Society A: 458:1-18
- Titlyanov EA, Titlyanova TV, van Woesik R, Yamazato K (2002) Acclimation of the hermatypic coral Stylophora pistillata to bright light. Russian Journal of Marine Biology 28: S41-S47.
- van Woesik R (2001) Coral bleaching: transcending spatial and temporal scales. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 16(3): 120-122
- Nakamura T and van Woesik R (2001) Differential survival of corals during the 1998-bleaching event is partially explained by water-flow rates and passive diffusion. Marine Ecology Progress Series 212; 301-304
- Titlyanov EA, Titlyanova TV, Yamazato K, van Woesik R (2001) Photoacclimation of the hermatypic coral Stylophora pistillata while subjected to either starvation or food provisioning. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 257: 163-181
- Loya Y, Sakai K, Yamazato K, Nakano Y, Sambali H, van Woesik R (2001) Coral bleaching: the winners and the losers. Ecology Letters 4: 122-131
- West K and van Woesik R (2001) Spatial and temporal variance of river discharge on Okinawa (Japan): inferring the temporal impact on adjacent coral reefs. Marine Pollution Bulletin 42(10): 864-872
- Titlyanov EA, Titlyanova TV, van Woesik R, Yamazato K (2001) Photo-acclimation dynamics of the coral Stylophora pistillata to low and extremely low light. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 263: 211-225
- Suefuji M and van Woesik R (2001) Coral recovery from the 1998-bleaching event is facilitated in Stegastes (Pisces: Pomacentridae) territories, Okinawa, Japan. Coral Reefs 20: 385-386
- T itlyanov EA, Titlyanova TV, Letetkin VA, Tsukahara J, van Woesik R, Yamazato K (2000) Zooxanthellae population density and physiological state of the coral Stylophora pistillata during starvation, osmotic shock. Symbiosis 28: 303-322
- van Woesik, R (2000) A metacommunity model predicts coral diversity regulated by post‑settlement mortality. Biodiversity and Conservation 9(9): 1219-1233
- Yamashiro H., Yamamoto M., van Woesik R (2000) Tumor formation on the coral Montipora informis. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 41: 211-217
- Hibino K and van Woesik R (2000) Spatial differences and seasonal changes of net carbonate accumulation on some corals reefs of the Ryukyu Islands, Japan. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 252(1): 1-14
- van Woesik R, Tomascik T, Blake S (1999) Coral assemblages and physico-chemical characteristics of the Whitsunday Islands: Evidence of recent community changes. Marine and Freshwater Research 50: 427-440.
- Titlyanov EA, Titlyanova TV, Tsukahara J, van Woesik R, Yamazato K (1999) Experimental increases of zooxanthellae density in the coral Stylophora pistillata elucidate adaptive mechanisms for zooxanthellae regulation. Symbiosis 26: 347-362
- Ohde S and van Woesik R (1999) Carbon Dioxide flux and metabolic processes of a coral reef (Okinawa, Japan). Bulletin of Marine Science 65(2): 559-576.
- Fallon S J., McCulloch M T., van Woesik R., Sinclair D J (1999) Corals at their latitudinal limits: Laser ablation trace element systematics in Porites from Shirigai Bay, Japan. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 172: 221-238
- van Woesik R (1998) Lesion healing on massive Porites corals. Marine Ecology Progress Series 164: 213-220.
- van Woesik R and Done TJ (1997) Coral communities and reef growth in the southern Great Barrier Reef. Coral Reefs 16: 103-115
- Tomascik T, van Woesik R, Mah AJ (1996) Rapid colonization of a recent lava flow following a volcanic eruption, Banda Islands, Indonesia. Coral Reefs 15: 169-175
- Titlyanov EA, Titlyanova TV, Letetkin VA, Tsukahara J, van Woesik R, Yamazato K (1996) Degradation of zooxanthellae and regulation of their density in hermatypic corals. Marine Ecology Progress Series 139: 167-178
- van Woesik R (1996) An earthquake effect on a coral reef, Japan. Coral Reefs 15(4): 224.
- van Woesik R (1995) Coral communities at high latitude are not pseudopopulations: evidence of spawning at 32 oN, Japan. Coral Reefs 14: 119-120.
- van Woesik R, De Vantier LM, Glazebrook JS (1995) Effects of cyclone `Joy' on nearshore coral communities of the Great Barrier Reef. Marine Ecology Progress Series 128: 261-270.
- van Woesik R(1994) Contemporary disturbances to coral communities of the Great Barrier Reef. Journal of Coastal Research 12: 233-252.
- van Woesik R, Ayling AM, Mapstone B (1991) Impact of Tropical Cyclone `Ivor' on the Great Barrier Reef. Journal of Coastal Research 7 (2): 551-558.
- Anand Mehta, Eraldo Ribeiro, Jessica Gilner, and Robert van Woesik (2007) Coral Reef Texture Classification Using Support Vector Machines. International Conference of Computer Vision Theory and Applications - VISAPP, pp.302-310, Barcelona, Spain, 2007.
- Flot JF, Ozouf-Costaz, C, Tsuchiya, M, van Woesik R (2006) Comparative coral cytogenetics. Proc 10 th Int Coral Reef Sym, Japan, pp 4-7.
- Strong AE, Liu G, Kimura T, Yamano H, Tsuchiya M, Kakuma S, van Woesik R (2002) Detecting and monitoring 2001 coral reef bleaching events in Ryukyu Islands, Japan using satellite bleaching HotSpot remote sensing technique. Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2002. IGARSS '02. 2002 IEEE International ,Volume: 1 , 24-28 June 2002, Pages:237 - 239
- van Woesik R (2000) Processes regulating coral community diversity: towards bridging the empirical-theoretical gap. Proceedings of JAMSTEC (Japan Marine Science and Technology Center) International Coral Reef Symposium: Coral Reef Biodiversity and Health as Indicators of Environmental Change. Tokyo, Japan. Published by Japan Marine Science and Technology Center, Science and Technology Agency, pp 125-137
- van Woesik R (1994) Geographic location influences coral composition: A comparison between Bali and Sulawesi, Indonesia. Third International Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) Symposium, Bali, Indonesia, pp. 280-290.
- van Woesik R, De Vantier LM, Steven ADL (1991) Discharge from tourist resorts in Queensland, Australia: Coral community response. In Proceedings on Congress on Coastal and Marine Tourism, University of Hawaii, Hawaii: 323-327.
- Steven ADL, van Woesik R, Brodie J (1991) Water quality monitoring studies within the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park: Case Studies. In Proceedings on Congress on Coastal and Marine Tourism, University of Hawaii, Hawaii: 335-341.
- Hopley D, van Woesik R, Hoyal DCJP, Steven ADL (1991) The effect of disturbing tropical rainforest catchments adjacent to fringing coral reefs through the development of a road, Great Barrier Reef. In Proceedings on Congress on Coastal and Marine Tourism, University of Hawaii, Hawaii: 328-334.
- van Woesik R , J Gilner, A Hooten (2009) Standard Operating procedures for repeated measures of process and state variables of coral reef environments. University of Queensland publication, pp 35.
- van Woesik R , Penland L, Idip D, Victor S (2007) Coral spawning in Palau. In Kayanne et al eds, Coral Reefs of Palau. Monograph published by Palau International Coral Reef Center, p 73-78.
- Takamori S and van Woesik R (2000) The recovery process of broken Acropora branches at Mizugama, Okinawa Island, Japan. Natural Environmental Science Research 13: 45-50
- Kuroki T and van Woesik R (1999) Changes in zooxanthellae characteristics in the hermatypic coral Stylophora pistillata during a ‘bleaching event’. Galaxea 1: 97-101
- van Woesik (1998) The nearshore reefs of Brunei Darussalam: A reef coral survey,1997. In Resources and conservation of coral reefs in Brunei Darussalam. Marine Parks Centre of Japan publication, pp. 3-31.
- van Woesik R (1997) Coral assemblages of Tongatapu, Kingdom of Tonga. In The report of the project for resources survey and conservation of Tongan Marine Reserves. Marine Parks Center of Japan publication, pp. 3-42.
- van Woesik R (1996) Coral survey of the Tubbataha Reefs, Philippines. In The report of the project for resources survey and conservation of Tubbataha Reefs National Marine Park. Marine Parks Centre of Japan publication pp. 1-45.
- van Woesik R (1996) Towards a standardised monitoring program for data collection on coral communities: examples from the Great Barrier Reef. In JR Clark, University of Miami. Coastal Zone Management Handbook, CRC Press: 482 – 487
- van Woesik R (1995) Scleractinian taxonomy. Japan International Cooperation Agency Textbook for special training course of conservation and sustainable management of coral reefs. No. 12: 1-10.
- Done TJ, Ayling AM, van Woesik R (1991) Broadscale survey of impacts of Cyclone ‘Ivor’ on Coral Reefs. Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority Research Publication no. 24, 40 pp.
- van Woesik R (1991) Immediate impact of the January 1991 floods on the coral assemblages of the Keppel Islands. Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority Research Publication no. 23, 30 pp.
- Hopley D, van Woesik R, Hoyal DCJP, Rasmussen CE, Steven AL (1990) Sedimentation resulting from road development, Cape Tribulation Area. Great Reef Marine Park Authority Technical Memorandum, 70 pp.
- Steven ADL, Brodie J, van Woesik R, Hopley D (1990) A pilot study of Baseline levels of water quality around Green Island. Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority Research Publication no. 14. 61 pp.
- van Woesik R and Steven A (1987) Towards a spatio-temporal Atlas of fringing reefs in the southern section of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park. Proceedings of the Fringing Reef Workshop, Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, pp. 53-73.
- van Woesik R (2000) Helen Reef corals. Report to the Government of Palau, 16 pp.
- Voegtle H, Houk P, van Woesik R (2004) Assessment of Heron Island coral community data collected in March 2002: A pilot study. Report to WorldFish, pp 18.
- van Woesik R, Voegtle H, Houk P,Obura D (2004) Assessment of Puerto Morelos coral community data collected in September 2002: A pilot study, Report to WorldFish, pp 25
- van Woesik R (2002) Coral Bleaching. Florida Institute of Technology Research News Report
- van Woesik R and Tomascik T (1998) Contemporary influences on, and recent changes to, coral communities of the Whitsunday Islands. Report to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, 45 pp.
- van Woesik R (1997) A comparative survey of coral reefs in south-eastern Bali, Indonesia, 1992 and 1997. A report to Nippon Koei, 44 pp.
- van Woesik R (1993) Does turbidity affect corals? Reef Research 3(3): 22-24.
- van Woesik R (1993) Coral assemblages on continental islands in the southern Great Barrier Reef, Australia. Report to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, 36 pp.
- van Woesik R (1992) Ecology of coral assemblages on continental islands in the southern section of the Great Barrier Reef, Australia. PhD thesis, Department of Marine Biology/Sir George Fisher Centre, James Cook University of North Queensland, Australia, 227 pp.
- De Vantier LM, van Woesik R, Steven ADL (1992) Monitoring study of coral communities of Middle Reef, Townsville. A report to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, 59 pp.
- van Woesik R and De Vantier LM (1992) Resource assessment of nearshore coral communities in the Whitsunday region. Report to the Department of Environment and Heritage, 106 pp.
- van Woesik R (1992) Direct and indirect effects of tropical cyclones. Reef Research 2(2): 8-9.
- Done TJ, Ayling AM, van Woesik R (1991) Broad-scale survey of impacts of cyclone 'Ivor' on coral reefs. A report to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, 39 pp.
- Done TJ, De Vantier LM, Fisk DA, van Woesik R (1991) Analysis of coral colonies, populations and communities: Interpretation of outbreak history and projection of recovery. A report to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, 22 pp
- van Woesik R (1991) A preliminary investigation of One Tree Lagoon: A supporting document for the ENCORE (Elevated nutrients on coral reefs) proposed by the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority. A report to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, 19 pp.
- van Woesik R, De Vantier LM, Steven ADL (1989) Surveys of the distribution, abundance and impact of the Crown-of-thorns starfish (Acanthaster planci) on fringing and adjacent midshelf reefs of the Whitsunday region. Report to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, 67 pp.
- van Woesik R, Hopley D, Parnell K (1989) An assessment of the fate of discharge brine from the John Brewer Reef floating hotel, Great Barrier Reef. A report to Barrier Reef Holdings, 32 pp.
- van Woesik R (1989) An assessment of the coral reef communities on the Keppel Isles. A report to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, 30 pp.
- Steven ADL and van Woesik R (1989) A multi-disciplinary examination of Hayman Island fringing reef: influence of a secondary sewage discharge. A report to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, 87 pp.
- Parnell K and van Woesik R (1988) The hydrodynamics of Nelly Bay, Magnetic Island, North Queensland, with reference to the Magnetic Island Quays proposal. Report to MacIntyre and associates, 37 pp
- van Woesik R and Hopley D (1988) Turbidity levels in Nelly Bay, Magnetic Island, North Queensland, with reference to the Magnetic Islands Quay proposal. Report to MacIntyre and associates, 25 pp.
- van Woesik R and Steven ADL (1987) A 1987 survey of high island fringing reefs in the southern section of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park. Report to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, 152 pp
- van Woesik R and Steven ADL (1987) A preliminary report on the benthic and fish assemblages of Hamilton Island: a prerequisite for monitoring. A report to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, 24 pp.
- van Woesik R and Steven ADL (1987) A survey of benthic flora and fauna of selected reefs in the Whitsundays: Long, Tancred, Hook, and Langford Islands. A report to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, 45 pp.